Wednesday, 18 April 2007

Game Ideas

I've been thinking long and hard about what I would like to learn from this whole exercise. It's not so much that I'm concerned about having a final product but rather that I take the journey to get there. I'm also using this opportunity as an exercise in persistence and tenacity.

So, the following are items I'd like to achieve:
  • A 3D isometric view of a tile-based landscape.
  • A flexible camera with springy effects.
  • Hand-crafted models with animation (not expecting too much here).
  • Some custom shader effects.
  • RTS-style units which can be controlled with the mouse/keyboard.
  • A multiplayer element (not too sure what this would be yet).
  • Particle effects - I think this is how I'll achieve the ultimate: glowy bullets

As far as what the gameplay will be like--I have no idea. It's probably not the right approach but I'm far more interested in figuring out how to do things than coming up with a fun game. I'll guess I'll make it fun as I go along.

Now, I think I should stop posting and start developing. I'm trying to let The Thousander Club motivate me although I think I'll probably try keep to the 100, not the 1000.

No comments: