Wednesday, 18 April 2007

The mini-game competition

So here's how this blog started. David and I are having a friendly competition to see who can make the coolest mini-game. Now, we're swamped with real work so there's absolutely no time to devote to this game (or the required learning to write this game) but it's a great outlet for our frustrations. We're total n00bs when it comes to DirectX and XNA so this is going to be interesting to say the least.

Dave's doing his game in Managed DirectX and I've decided to explore XNA. I'm still not too sure that this is the right decision for me--there are far more code samples out there for MDX. Colin might join us using GL but we're still waiting to see something concrete from him.

As far as game designs go--I keep changing my mind. I need to lock it down soon but I get distracted by all the cool things that you can do with XNA. David has nailed down his spec and seems to be progressing nicely. An important part of his spec was that he wanted "glowy bullets" and "more glowy bullets". I stole that requirement as a name for this blog. I want glowy bullets too damnit! I want to marry glowy bullets and have little glowy bullet babies. So, kudos to David for the cool blog name.

So, where to from here? I guess I'll be posting my progress, my woes, my joys and my frustrations onto this site. I'd like to end up with a blog similar to this one--something that I can look back on and be proud of.

No comments: